The first shopkeeper lived in Staines from 1937. Many families were evacuated to Staines at the start of World War II. Services were first held in the houses of the congregation and later moved to a first floor hall above an arcade in Staines. In June 1952 the foundation stone was laid for the first synagogue. In July 1953 the synagogue was consecrated by the Chief Rabbi, Dr. Israel Brodie. In 1970 the synagogue was compulsorily purchased to allow for the development of the Elmsleigh Shopping Centre. We were then offered a new site, where the current synagogue is. This was consecrated in July 1976 by the Chief Rabbi Dr. Immanuel Jackobovitz.

Return to top of page